Journey with the Jenks

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Skiing Adventure take 2

This was our second ski trip this year. We went the last weekend of January and Landry loved it. We wanted to go one more time before the season ended to help solidify it in her mind. Reese hated it last time, we were going to try a private lesson to see if it helped.
The small black figures in the front of the picture are Shane and Reese. Reese would hold on to Shane's poles and fly down the mountain. She yelled, "Faster!" the while time. Needless to say, she loved it on day 2. Day one, not so much, more tears and snot. Come to find out, all she wanted was her own poles. Poles on day 2 and she was happy!

This is Landry at the bottom. She absolutely loves skiing! I am so happy. Skiing is something I learned to do as an adult, like this weekend. I mean, all I learned I learned from Landry and listening in on lessons of other people. It was really an interesting experience to have your child saying, "Mom....PIZZA!" (That is how you teach kids to stop) The first day I hated it! I could not turn or stop very well. I flew down the mountain like a bat out of hell hoping to God no one got in my way! I even went racing in to the Kiddie Korral because I couldn't stop fast enough.
Day 2 was better. I mastered stopping and learned to turn. Only 1 fall the entire day 2! Yay!
On a scarier note, Landry got lost while on the mountain. All your kids lives you spend telling them what to do and not do. Quite honestly, I wonder how much sinks in and how much sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher speaking, "wha wha wha". Shane and Landry wentto the top of the mountain to ski a Blue (medium) run. He skied behind her in case of wipe outs. She go to going a little fast and did not see the "expert only" sign to the right. She went over the edge and Shane couldn't stop her. He called me with the most panicked voice I had heard from him ever. She was on a black (most difficult) run and he was at the bottom. Reese and I went directly to the ski patrol to report a missing child. It had been 15 minutes at this point. The nice man began to ask me questions about which run, "Wild Onion, Geronimo, etc..." He was trying to be helpful but I was getting a bit annoyed. Finally I said, "Sir, I've never been off Easy Street so I can't tell you!" I was able to get Shane on the phone again and ask more specifics. The ski patrol had just been dispatched and were heading out when here she came walking up the a worker! She burst into tears, as I wanted to do too! I kept telling her how proud I was of her for staying calm! She said she slid on her bottom to the end of the run and then came to find us. When she couldn't find Reese and me in our usual place, she went and told a worker. "Mom. you always said if I ever got lost to find someone who worked there and tell them." Searched called off, 2 very relieved parents and a little girl who is becoming a young adult before our eyes.

She never got how courageous she was on Saturday. I was certain she was finished skiing for the day, I would have been! Nope, after eating some lunch she was back out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment