Journey with the Jenks

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Chicken and Rice-Easy!!!

I grew up in a small town. like 1800 people small. We had 3 restaurants, one being Dairy Queen. We rarely ate out, my mom cooked....every meal, 3 times a day. My husband grew up much the same way...his mom cooked 3 meals a day.

I cook, it's what I do. When I don't know what else to do I cook.

Many women my age don't cook very often and are constantly asking how I manage to work all day and then cook meals. Here is the secret.....I cook REALLY easy meals. I am no Paula Deen, Rachel Ray uses WAY too many ingredients. If I haven't heard of it, chances are my HEB won't have it. I mean really, I live in Midland!

Here is one of the Fabulous recipes I cook. I whipped this up in 30 minutes including time to cook rice and chicken.


It isn't pretty but it is delicious! It's one of those things that you walk by and eat out of the pan after dinner.

Chicken and Wild Rice
1 box Uncle Ben's Wild Rice
1 can FF Cream of Mushroom soup
1 small can mushrooms
2 chicken breasts-cooked
chopped almonds(optional)
salt
pepper
garlic powder
chicken broth
Boil your chicken. You could use canned chicken but I think it tastes and smells somewhat like cat food. If you boil 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts you'll have just enough chicken broth for later. Cook wild rice per directions on the box except use chicken broth instead of water...Thar's the secret ingredient. It makes this dish yumm-o! After cooking chicken and rice, chop chicken and mix it with rice and soup. Drain the mushrooms and add to mixture. Salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. I chop almonds and mix in, totally optional. I also chop almonds finely and sprinkle on top. stick in 350 oven for a few minutes, it's all cooked, it just needs to warm. Open a couple of canned veggies and Voila, quick, easy, yummy dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment