Journey with the Jenks

Monday, October 26, 2009

The Girls are Growing Up



We attended a wedding this weekend. The girls are now old enough to attend provided kids are invited. It is so strange to look at Landry and see this "big" kid. It really makes me sad and happy at the same time. I cannot believe how fast she has grown up. It seem like yesterday that she was running around in a diaper and wanting to be Cinderella. Now she has on pearls and picked out her own purse...and it matched! She is such a neat kid with a very interesting sense of humor and unique interests. She loves animals and science. She is considerate and mature. She is responsible(as much as expected from an 8 year old!) and loves to feel trusted. She never ceases to amaze me with her intelligence and ability to take in environmental cues. She is a list maker(love it!) and I must admit I have made her a bit neurotic about schedules and time. She does not like when she feels she has not done her best. This will be a struggle for her but also an asset. I love this kid! She makes me laugh everyday and still lets me carry her out of bed every morning. She is getting to the age where she will soon think her mom is the dorkiest person alive and it kills me. I have been her favorite person for almost 9 years. When I hear songs that talk about kids growing up I begin to feel a lump. I have had her in my home for 9 years, she will leave in 9 years. Oh my! Thank you Jesus for such a precious, amazing work. I can see Your fingerprints on her.


Reese will turn 4 in less than 2 months. I sometimes forget that she is not a baby. Until recently she wore "biapers" at night. I felt really sad the night she decided not to wear a "biaper" to bed. I asked her to stop getting big and she said, "Mom, I don't know how to not get big!" She is one of the funniest kids I have ever been around. She thinks she is 8 1/2. She is strong willed and stubborn(yes I think these will serve her well one day) She is sweet and kind. She loves to dance and sing. She has an amazing sense of style for a 3 year old. When I allow her to dress herself, it usually includes a belt, purse and matching shoes. She is wants a baby sister SO BAD! (Not gonna happen) She loves to feel big. She loves to help me in the kitchen. One of these days school and the likes will interest her, just not now. She looks just like her dad. The Lord know what he was doing when he gave me Reese. She is the Ying to my Yang. She causes me to loosen up, laugh, and not be so uptight. "It's O.K. Mom", is a phrase I hear often from her. Lord, thank you for this precious girl. She reminds me daily that You know what we need even when we don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment