Journey with the Jenks

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Control-letting go....

I am not sure about you but I struggle with control issues. I drive my children and quite possibly my friends crazy with my incessant need to control things. Ironically, It does not spill over into all areas of my life. It is kind of isolated to my kids and our schedule.

I am reminded of it whenever I have to leave town for work (it is usually during the weekdays).

As I prepare to leave I go through the week ahead to hopefully forsee events. I leave a detailed calendar, and I do mean detailed! I write each days activities on each day along with anything due at school. I also leave already addressed checks for whomever needs to be paid for the week, such as housekeeper, babysitter, etc... I used to pack Landry's lunches for the week and have them ready in the fridge. Outfits were laid out for the week for both girls. All this took me a great amount of time but it put my mind at rest.

I feel certain that Shane paid it no attention. There are a few clues as to why I think this.
1) On our daily call there are multiple questions such as, does Landry have soccer practice today? What time? My response is never, "It's on the schedule!" but I wanted it to be!
2) I also receive text messages with questions like, "What day is the housekeeper coming? UUUGH! "How much money do I leave her?" Really? There is a check on the bar attached to THE SCHEDULE!!!

This trip I tried very hard to let go. I decided that in all my travels he has never forgotten to feed them, MOST activities have been attended and if they are missed there is never a news story about it...."8 year old misses soccer practice" full story at 10!

I left a notepad sized schedule that said, Monday game 6 pm, Tuesday nothing, Wednesday soccer prac 6 pm, Thursday nothing, Friday Fundraiser due. That's it!

I still received calls and texts but at least I had new info for them and did not feel the need to yell THE SCHEDULE one time. The kids were still alive when I got home. They don't seem underfed. Not sure how they looked each day but, I can deal! I asked Landry if she took her lunch or ate in the cafeteria, something she NEVER does when I'm home. She said she ate cafeteria all week and she is still alive and said it really wasn't too bad.

Less work for me and they survived!!!

1 comment: