Journey with the Jenks

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Blessed....Why?

Some days Jesus reminds me of just how blessed I am. Today was one of those days. Nothing spectacular happened. Nothing tragic in our lives. Just a perfectly normal day. I think what started my Thankful spiritual reminder was working. Weird, I know. As part of my job I call on the Emergency Room at hospitals. As I stood there watch everyone buzz around me I realized that people's worlds were changing as I stood there. I saw a family gathered with a man in a neck brace and multiple fractures, 7 I think. I overheard a conversation about a young girl who had overdosed and her parents says she hanging with bad, older kids like, "16-20". That means she is young!
I read a blog written by a young mom experiencing unfathomable heartache with her 2nd pregnancy. Her baby is sick and no one is sure why or if it will survive.
I sometimes question why I was given 2 perfectly healthy, smart, well behaved(mostly!) children. They are giving and fun kids.
I have stood in the ER as a family member clings to life. I have stood at the foot of a hospital bed and watched my mother fight with everything she had to survive cancer. I have witnessed my dad fly away in a helicopter as he was transported to a facility to help him. I remember thinking on those days, "Does anyone realize how my life changed today?" No,, most people don't. As we go on with our perfectly normal life, some one's life changes in an instant, a test results, an ultrasound or MRI. I'm blessed. I prayed for those people today.
Lord, keep me humble. Never allow me to forget that some one's life is changing and they need Your peace. Thank you for the everyday, mundane tasks of my life. May I praise You in those as much as I cry out for You in the troubled times. Continue to remind me to Praise You in the Storm and as I see the rainbows.

1 comment:

  1. Marcus always say we are blessed to be boring. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete