Journey with the Jenks

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A New Challenge

I have run 2 half marathons before. (13.1 miles) The first one was in Jan 2004 and the second was in Jan 2007. I missed the pattern by 6 months! My third will be June 26, 2010. The first one I did was in Disney World. The second was the Phoenix Rock and Roll. This one is the Seattle Rock and Roll.

My friend Melinda and I have done them all together and this is no exception. It is so much more fun with a running partner to pass the time with. I am pretty sure she and I have solved all the world's problems while running. We use it as free marriage/parenting counseling.

We are T-11 weeks and counting and it's time to turn up the training. Of course in West Texas it is also time for Mother Nature to turn up the wind!! I am running on a treadmill right now. I HATE the wind so I spend most of my lunchtimes at the gym on the treadmill. We will start doing long runs on the weekends and build up to almost the full distance. I have a rule, I will not run 13 miles until that day. I want to do it once and once only!

I cannot explain why I enjoy doing this. i have never loved to run. In high school I was a sprinter and I use that term loosely! I wasn't fast but I also did not like to run for long distances. Once my coach told me to run a mile and I asked if he really meant all at once??? He would fall over if he knew I will run 13.1 miles all at once! After these races there is such a sense of accomplishment and empowerment. I highly recommend doing something in your life that you think will be hard just to show yourself you can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment